Biggest data breaches
Biggest data breachesNOTE: PLEASE DON'T CITE THIS INFORMATION AS WE ARE STILL VERIFYING A FEW ERRORS POINTED OUT BY DataBreachDB.org
NOTE: PLEASE DON'T CITE THIS INFORMATION AS WE ARE STILL VERIFYING A FEW ERRORS POINTED OUT BY DataBreachDB.org
This Silk uses the research by Miriam Quick, Ella Hollowood, Christian Miles, and Dan Hampson to build an interactive tool to explore, analyze, visualize and share data about the biggest data breaches of the last ten years, each with more than 30,000,000 records leaked.
How to Use This Silk: Browse the charts and maps below. Click "Explore" anywhere on the site to go into visualization and filtering mode. Search for individual pages or entities in the top search box.
Top 10 Biggest Data Breaches of 2014, Sorted by Number of Records Leaked
- The US Military has been the target of 7 massive data breaches in the last ten years. Two of them were related to WikiLeaks (Iraqi War Logs and the Bradley Manning/Cablegate leaks). And all were due to either lost / stolen computer and media, accidentally published data and inside jobs. None were due to hacking.
- Overall, most of the over 170 biggest data breaches have usually been related to hacking (50%).
- This changes greatly when filtering for other variables. For example hacking is responsible for 83% of the 2014 cases, but this is only the peak of a increasing trend, which started with the 40% of 2010. Also, when it comes to health case organizations, lost or stolen computers and media surpass hacking and account for 65% of the episodes.
- If instead of looking at the individual cases, we look at the number of records leaked, hacking is incomparably the first cause of the breaches. In 2014 alone it accounted for the leak of at least half a billion records. And this is counting only the biggest breaches with over 30,000,000 records.
- In the last 10 years, health care organizations, with their sensible personal data, have been victims of major data breaches 31 times, and government entities 28.
Top ten entities with most number of big data breaches
Biggest data breaches related to US Military
Distribution of method of leak
Records leaked each year
Number of data breaches per organization type
All the biggest data breaches in a filterable table
About this site
This site was created with Silk, a platform for easily structuring information, so that it can be organized, queried, visualized and shared in a few clicks. The Silk team built this as a demonstration project. You can contact us at email@example.com.
To build this site we used the data of the research by Miriam Quick, Ella Hollowood, Christian Miles, and Dan Hampson. We did some cleaning and normalizing, and you can find the exact dataset imported in this Silk on Github.